What is the statute of limitations for elder abuse charges in the state of New York?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lake Mary, FL

Daughter severely assaulted her mother that the mother had to be hospitalized for months.

Pro

4

Answered . For a civil claim for personal injury, 3 years in NY. Retain a lawyer in NY from Avvo to investigate. Good luck.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. David Bradley Dohner

2

Answered . Unfortunately, I must advise that although it appears that you directed your question to AVVO, with, assumedly, a request that same be presented to the most relevant group of attorneys, as defined or segregated in all likelihood by a simple algorithm developed or owned by AVVO, who would seemingly be best suited to answer the particular question posed (although frankly, I am simply attempting to apply logic to the situation and take my best guess at the actual process utilized by AVVO's team, as an integrated unit; I can not state with any level of certainty whatsoever that AVVO uses any one particular methodology for receipt; analysis; grouping or assignment of questions presented; and/or the dissemination of same to a presumably defined subset or subgroup of all Attorneys who donate their collective time, energy, and attention to questions posed by individuals through and "on" AVVO), it may, unfortunately, not be the case that the most desired outcome resulted in this instance.

Your question appears, again, to have been initiated in Lake Mary, Florida, which more likely than not means that same was directed to AVVO by you via the internet, with the hope and expectation that the above process would take place, and, accordingly, you likely reasonably believed that a number of lawyers with knowledge of New York law, and, one would, or at least I would, hope and expect moreover, that this same group of attorneys would be comprised of attorneys who are and perhaps for some time now have been licensed to practice in New York State. While attorneys from other states MAY possess accurate knowledge of the laws and intricacies of the POTENTIAL INTERACTION AND RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ONE FOREIGN STATE'S STATUTE GOVERNING ONE TYPE OF ACTIVITY OR OTHER SUBJECT OF LEGISLATION AS WELL AS A STATUTE, PRESUMABLY EXISTANT IN ALL STATES, WHICH SPECIFIES THE PERIOD OF LIMITATIONS FOR ACTIONS OF EACH SORT FOR WHICH THERE IS SUCH A PERIOD DEFINED BY STATUTE, this is not necessarily true.

As a matter of practice, without deviation, for reasons which to me seem obvious - reasons with which a great many of my colleagues agree wholeheartedly - I will not "take a shot" at a question concerning the laws and regulations of a State in which I am not licensed to practice law. I am stretching this point to a bit of an extreme to emphasize a point, and will add that even if I did attempt to do so for an individual out of dire necessity or emergency of some such bizarre sort that I can not even create an example of same in my imagination, I would never "take a shot"....knowingly. And that is the problem that I think many of those attorneys, well meaning or otherwise, who attempt to answer questions concerning the laws and/or the application of the laws, of any State other than the one or more States within which he or she has been actually licensed to practice. While he or she may not believe that it is exactly that...."taking a shot" ....that he or she is doing while providing information under such circumstances, well-intendedly or not (and, therefore, obviously, doing a disservice to the client, and, frankly doing the very same thing to him or herself....knowingly or not), that is exactly what he or she is doing. It is a horrible idea; it is inevitably going to lead to a difficult situation at some point in the not at all distant future, if it has not done so already, and any and disclaimers to the contrary, it is incontroverible that if the result is a negative outcome of some level of magnitude that we will later name after that oft-warned individual, paper as well will likely start to fly.

I find that there are many more questions posed by individuals on this site which concern matters which are or would be properly venued within and governed by the laws of the State of Florida by which I was licensed to practice law nearly nineteen (19) years ago, and that same have been set forth by individuals who truly need help.
    (See "Comment" below;cont)