What is the statute of limitations for cops filing charges after raiding your home?

Asked over 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

What is the statute of limitations for cops filing charges after raiding your home? I noticed the paper left said 10 days, but the Judge granted them additional time because of computer equipment. How much time can they just hold all my stuff for on any charge?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. David Richard Damore


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you were not arrested the police could investigate without charges for years but that's not going to happen
    Hire an attorney immediately.
    Make sure you tell him about the contents of your computer and any reasons your home might have been the subject of a search warrant.

  2. Steven Douglas Knittle

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The statute of limitations is 4 years for most felonies. They can hold your stuff until they complete their investigation within reason.

  3. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not a statute of limitations question. The S/L for 1st degree felonies is 4 years, and for 3rd degree felonies it is 3 years. They cannot use information that is more than 30 days old in obtaining a warrant. The answer is a reasonable amount of time. Hire an attorney now.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  4. Paul Domenic Petruzzi


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hire a lawyer

    This is not intended as legal advice.

Related Topics


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Dennis James Dressler

How much do I tell my lawyer?

Start by telling your lawyer what you are charged with and when you are due to appear in court. From that point on I suggest that you let your lawyer ask you questions and you answer those... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,821 answers this week

3,373 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,821 answers this week

3,373 attorneys answering