What is the statute of limitations for a police involved shooting?

how long does someoneae to file ater being shot by a police officer?

Canoga Park, CA -

Armen Michael Tashjian

Armen Michael Tashjian

Personal Injury Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

If you want to be in the state court, than a claim for damages (tort claim) must be filed within six months. Thereafter, if the claim is denied, there is six months to file a lawsuit.

If on the other hand, you missed those deadlines, or want to be in federal court, you have three years to file violation of civil rights complaint.

Call me if you need representation.

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

Employment / Labor Attorney - Irvine, CA

I think you will get a better audience for your question if it is redirected to the personal injury practice area.

Good luck to you.

Gerald Lee Marcus

Gerald Lee Marcus

Personal Injury Lawyer - Calabasas, CA

Assuming the police worked for any governmental agency or a municipal corporation such as Los Angeles police department or Los Angeles county sherif department rather than a privately owned company you would be required to file a government claim form with six 6 months from the date of the shooting. You would then have to file a lawsuit within six months fe the date the claim is denied or rejected. Or deemed rejected by silence. This are complicated procedural cases and the government code applies. You should definitely consult with an attorney who has handled these cases before

John Gus Zgourides

John Gus Zgourides

Personal Injury Lawyer - The Woodlands, TX

The law varies. See a local trial lawyer that handles civil rights cases.

Rabeh M. A. Soofi

Rabeh M. A. Soofi

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Our firm does civil rights cases - you have an extremely short amount of time to do everything. Like the other posters said, it is 6 months to file a claim; in some cases this can be extended to 1 year. Then, once the government claim is decided upon (or deemed rejected), you can file suit in state or federal court, depending on the facts of the case.

We have a number of civil rights cases right now - if you would like a consultation, I would be more than glad to speak to you (they are always free). Otherwise, I would suggest you find a lawyer that can help you - there are plenty of great lawyers on this site and throughout the web.

Take care, and I am sorry this has happened. Rabeh

Related Advice