What is the statute of limitations for a criminal battery charge in California?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pasadena, CA

What is the statute of limitations for a criminal battery charge in California? I heard it was one year since the time the act occurred. If so is there a tolling of the statute which extends it beyond a year?

1. Dan Eugene Chambers

11

Answered . If you are referring to a misdemeanor battery charge under Penal Code section 242, the statute of limitations is one year from the date of the offense. Penal Code section 803 discusses when the statute of limitations can be extended or "tolled." For a battery, the circumstances under which the statute of limitations can be tolled are very limited. You should discuss your specific situation with an experienced attorney. Many of us on Avvo provide a free consultation.

www.chamberslawfirmca.com
    www.chamberslawfirmoc.com
    www.clfca.com

2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

8

Answered . The statute is 1 year from the date of the offense for a misdemeanor. It is two years for a felony. Tolling of the statute occurs when you fail to appear in court, willfully flee, or any other matter deemed to toll per the Penal Code. You should seek a consultation from a criminal defense attorney.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

3. Mark Lawrence Deniz

Pro

5

Answered . Charge is PC 242.
    Penal Code 803 deals with SOL. They have one year.