What is the status of each spousal's assets prenuptial and post nuptial in Florida ?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I am French and soon getting married to a US citizen living in Florida.

I have some assets and she doesn't.

In France by law prenuptial assets are non common and post nuptial assets turn common. Spousals can also sign a prenuptial agreement to decide to have all his and her assets separate even into the marriage time.

What is the law in Florida ?

Thanks.

1. Vanessa Alexandra Vasquez de Lara

Pro

Answered . Although you can keep pre-nuptial property separate, it is difficult and sometimes impossible as the spouses might not be able to legally keep the separate property separate. Therefore, the best way to ensure that each person's assets remain separate property is through a comprehensive pre-nuptial agreement that specifically lists all property to remain separate and how marital property will be handled during the marriage.

Good luck,

Vanessa Vasquez de Lara, Esq.
    Attorney at Law
    7700 N. Kendall Drive, Suite 412
    Miami, FL 33156
    (305) 984-4287
    vvasquezesq@gmail.com
    www.vvasquezlaw.com

2. Thomas R. Peppler

Answered . Avvo Email

The law in Florida is essentially the same as you describe in France. You
    should consult a lawyer about the details and about a prenuptial
    agreement.

*

3. Juna Madray Pulayya

Answered . I agree with both attorneys. Having a well drafted prenupital agreement can save you a major headache. You should consult a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

JMP Law, P.A.
    Juna M. Pulayya
    www.jmplawyer.com
    junior@jmplawyer.com