What is the statue of limitations regarding criminally charging someone for threatening your life in New York?

Ithaca, NY |

# of years
and what circumstances would make them still remain as a danger to someone's life?

1. 2 years for a misdemeanor 5 for a felony.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. There is no specific statute for "threatening another life". The acts could be classified as a violation (harassment) a misdemeanor (menacing & aggravated harassment) or perhaps a felony if the threat was used to gain something (coercion or extortion). The statute of limitations for felonies (except Murder) is 5 years. The Statute of Limitations for a misdemeanor is 2 years.

3. 5 years for a felony. They are a danger if they are still threatening your life

4. Under 18 USC § 3282 a Grand Jury must issue a Federal indictment within five (5) years after the defendant committed the offense.

5. If it's a misdemeanor, the statute of limitations is two years. If it's a felony, it's five years.

Federal crime topics