Skip to main content

What is the statue of limitations on paying taxes on an inherited property ?

Philadelphia, PA |

My grate grandfather passed in 1987 he left me and my siblings two properties, we'll be going to settlement soon. We'll we have to pay inheritance tax.

Attorney Answers 3


The estate taxes were due within 9 months of death. If an estate tax return was never filed, then the statute of limitations has not started. Hopefully there is some information that you are missing here, talk with an attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You will have to prove that you filed and paid inheritance taxes in order to clear title. If you cannot show a return or assessment from Dept of Revenue, the title company will likely hold the estimated taxes in escrow until a return is filed.

Please do not construe this answer as legal advice. I do not intend to render legal advise since I do not have sufficient facts upon which to render such advice and since no formal engagement has been established. Accordingly, the answering of this question is not intended and shall not create an attorney-client relationship. Furthermore, this answer does not impose an obligation on my part to respond to further inquiry. I strongly suggest that you not rely on these casual responses but rather consider obtaining legal advise from an qualified attorney.

Mark as helpful


If you do this the technically correct way, you will get an appraiser to give you the value in 1987 and you will calculate the tax, the penalty and the interest. There is a was to cut the corner. I often make a deal with the Dept of Revenue to pay a percent of the current sale price for a get out of jail pass. You will need a lawyer to help you.

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise. When answering questions on AVVO, attorneys are prohibited from directly soliciting business. Don't take this as an indication of lack of interest. Follow my answers to other questions on Twitter @LandLawyer James S. Tupitza 212 West Gay Street West Chester, PA 19380 610-696-2600

Mark as helpful

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics