I filed for custody after 3 years, of 3 yr old son. We live in AK and Father lives in Seattle and only saw his son 3 or 4 times when we lived in Seattle also. He didn't contest our move until I filed for custody. Now, in negotiating, he cencedes primary physical but wants half legal. He doesn't know his son, nor do we have a positive relationship. I want to obtain full legal as well, and plan to take it to court if he does not concurr. I want him to first build a relationship with me and his son before graduating to half legal and give him rights to certain things like school, medical, etc. at this time My lawyer is trying to talk me out of that & to give him 1/2 legal. What is the likelyhood, if goes to court, of judge agreeing?
Your attorney should have more facts at his disposal than you have recited here. He is in the best position to advise you on this decision. If you have questions that remain unanswered you should address them with your counsel. You should ask him what are the options and what evidence will be required to reach those options. He should be able to provide a budget required to present the case for those different options and his view of the likelihood of success. You get to decide which option you will choose to pursue.