What is the specific partition process in Michigan?

Charlevoix, MI |

My family's case has been going on for a year. Three siblings filed a partition lawsuit over jointly owned inherited property against two siblngs without discussion having taken place. Defendants have not contested the partition. Multiple appraisals have been obtained. Plaintiffs' attorney refuses to respond to the defendants' communications and questions about the planned process for sale. The judge has permitted settlement discussions to continue. With no discussion on the part of Plaintiffs' attorney, what will be the likely next step in the process? The process appears to have stalled. Defendants have not received notice from the court for the next status hearing.

1. It might be necessary for defendants to petition the court to get things moving again. Settlement is always a good idea and the courts will encourage this. If you have an attorney, you should rely on the attorney for your advice. If you do not have an attorney, you really should have one in a matter like this.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!