What is the sol on piracy ufc events

Garden Grove, CA |

i have a friend who torrent ufc event a few days after the event and when we read about online piracy and how ufc is going after people who stream it illegally and my friend is really scared and the last time he torrent a ufc event was in october 2012 and he heard that ufc also going to the house of people who illegally torrent it and my friend also has an account on bestmmatorrents and now he really scare, what is the sol on that? please help

there are like more than 100000 peoples do it, can they sue all of them? or just the owner of the website or the one that upload that torrent. because i know for sure my friend only download it but never upload any torrent for other people to download it or illegally redistributing it

1. The statute of limitation for sopyright violation may vary by state. There are lts of copyright trolls out there (and blogs where you can get useful information). In general, I suggest your friend stop usitn bit-torrent to file share copyrighted material. As a practical note the lawyers are having a lot of troubel in federal court. The plaintiff in most cases files suit and sends demand letters to all of the owners of the IP adddress (regardsless of who was actually downloading the materials). Sometimes it is cheaper to pay a few thousand dollars to get your self out of the case than litigate. At least your frined is just copying fights, it is quite embarrassing when teh defendant has to explain that pornography was downloaded to their IP address and they had no knowledge of such infringing activity.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction

2. You should be worried, friend. Torrent trackers now in the hands of copyright trolls can get you and if you keep it up will. The stuff about UFC going to people's houses, wherever you heard that is BS, [except perhaps with a summons or via mail with a letter] so you needn't worry particularly about the "copyright police" showing up at your door. What is of more concern is copyright infringement damages of up to $150,000 per instance. The SOL for copyright infringement is five years after the cause of action arose, and generally that is from the last instance, so you are on the hook until at least Oct. 2017, friend. If you have really stopped, you have little you can or should do unless you get a letter from your ISP and then you need to see a subpoena defense attorney [Google it]. But know this, if you do any further online piracy via torrent you stand to get caught. Stop it now and you will likely escape.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

3. The statute of limitations on a civil copyright violation, being a federal law, is governed by 17 USC sec. 507(b). It is three years from the date the claim accrued. In most places, the claim "accrues" when the plaintiff learns about the infringing conduct.

www.bayoaklaw.com. 510-208-5500. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is not legal advice, because it is only of a general nature. Please contact a lawyer qualified in your jurisdiction to discuss your situation in confidence, using your factual details. Avvo answers are only general legal responses. Item 9 of Avvo.com's Terms and Conditions are incorporated in this disclaimer as though it were printed here.

Gaming law topics