Skip to main content

What is the sentence for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle in Florida?

Jacksonville, FL |

My ex boyfriend took my car while I was in the shower and traded it for drugs to his dealer. My car was missing for 13 days (14 days would have been a felony in FL) before I located it. During the 13 days, he admitted to an officer that he had taken the car and let someone else use it. I want to know what his sentence will be if he is found guilty? How can I get the ASA to upgrade to something more than a misdemeanor? Damages exceed over $2,500 (rental car, re-keying igintion, broken windsheild) to my BMW.

I spoke to the State Attorney handling the case. Her division chief downgraded the charge from a felony to a misdemeanor. She does not think that it will be upgraded to a felony because the car was not missing for 14 or more days (it was missing for 13 days and 20 hours). I own a BMW which means that the BMW dealership are the only technicians to change my ignition, locks and alarms at a cost of $1,600.00. The physical damages (cracked windshield and body damage) total $1,025.00. When sentencing, does the Judge take in account who the victim is? I am a military veteran, a single mother, and a full-time graduate student. I want the Judge to give him the maximum sentence possible.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Contact the State Attorney's Office. You may want to send a letter to the SAO that includes copies of your bills. Your boyfriend may be required to pay restitution as a part of his sentence. If no restitution you may be able to sue him in civil court.

  2. I am not sure why they didn't charge him with Grand Theft Auto which is a third degree felony. You may want to contact the Detective handling the case to find out the answer. I hope this is helpful.

    Without reviewing all the facts and evidence, it is not possible to give a proper opinion regarding the liklihood of sucess of your case.

  3. I agree with the other comments. You would likely need to contact the State Attorney's Office to question about a Grand Theft charge.

    If he committed actual physical damage to your car that exceeded $1,000.00 then the State may be able to charge him with Felony Criminal Mischief.

    Fla. Stat. sec. 806.13(3):
    (3) If the damage is $1,000 or greater, or if there is interruption or impairment of a business operation or public communication, transportation, supply of water, gas or power, or other public service which costs $1,000 or more in labor and supplies to restore, it is a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

    Good Luck

  4. Your ex-boyfriend should be charged with Grand Theft, a 3rd Degree felony, plain and simple. The discussion of how long the vehicle was missing ( 14 days??) is of no relevance whatsoever. Any taking of the property of another, regardless of the duration, is a theft. In addition, since he thereafter used the vehicle in a transaction with his drug dealer, he could also be charged with Dealing in Stolen Property, a 2nd Degree Felony which is punishable by up to 15 years.

    If there's nothing more to the story, this decision by the prosecutor smells bad. Sounds like a quick resolution by taking the path of least resistance by the state attorney. I worked as a state attorney for 15 years. If you are not satisfied with the discussed disposition, you need to speak with the division chief's supervisor.

    Good Luck,

    Robert E. Heyman, Esq.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics