What is the salary of a criminal defense attorney?

Daytona Beach, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

How much do criminal defense attorneys get paid from lowest price to highest price?
How are they paid?

What kind of question is this? It depends on their level and where they work. How are they paid? With money, I think.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

What is the salary of a businessman? Answer-it depends. Most criminal defense attorneys are self-employed. They are paid by their clients. The more clients, the more they make. Others work for law firms. How much they make depends on how profitable the firm is and how upscale their clientele. Public defenders work for the state or federal court system. They get paid anywhere from $50-100,000, depending on their experience and the system in which they work. By contrast, the lawyers who represent high profile defendants, like OJ or a corporate CEO, could easily bill over $1 million for the case.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.

I totally agree with the other attorney. This really can't be answered. If you are looking into it as a profession, just to give you an idea, public defenders in Florida make around $28,000, but if you are very lucky and graduate at the top of your class, you may earn a salary of $75.000. Most criminal defense attorneys are solo practitioners and they will probably tell you that some months they may make nothing while others they may earn several thousand dollars. Experience is a big factor, and sometimes just luck can factor it, e.g. Jose Baez, Casey Anthony's attorney. Bottom line, if you're looking to get rich doing criminal defense, I don't suggest it as a profession.