What is the role of a principal attorney in a lawsuit? Do they have a fiduciary to me in any way?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

This is a really important question to me. What is the role of a principal attorney in a lawuit? Do they have any fiduciary duty to me? Does that mean they are supposed to represent me for trial? Please help!

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

1

Answered . The principal attorney in any lawsuit owes the duty of professional services at the standard of care to the attorney's client. Are you the client?

In a class action, the attorney owes a duty to the class, and the determination of who is in the class can be difficult over the course of the litigation.

Absent more facts about the nature of the case and legal proceeding, and about your connection and involvement in the legal matter and the underlying dispute, there is no basis for a more substantive and explicit answer.

2. Robert Pecco Baker

Answered . Can you explain what type of case this is and what you mean by principal attorney as opposed to what other kind of attorney? What distinction are you making in your mind?

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now