What is the risk of declaring "legally authorized to work" even if you're status expired 2 years ago.

Las Vegas, NV |

I applied to this job and filled out application and checked "authorized to work" box, got interviewed and now im being called back to fill out the rest of the paperwork (w2 and so on) i have SSN and driver's license and expired work permit, i was able to obtain these paperwork due to my marriage to a US citizen but my status expired 2 years ago and i even have deportation order but didn't leave. Whats the risk? If let's say the new immigration reform bill becomes law, and qualifies me, will this action im going to do gonna affect my immigration application/benefit? Please help before i make this move.

You said it all" "i even have deportation order"

You really ... really .... really .... really need to meet in private with an immigration attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Further complicating your already complicated immigration history.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I don't know if this is going to have any effect on your qualification under the Immigration reform, but asking this question is a bit late for you. You have already checked the box "authorized to work," which is a fraudulent statement from you. You really need to consult an attorney in private to evaluate your situation better.

Recommended articles about Employment