What is the responsibility of a landlord regarding providing water to tenants during outages

Severn, MD |

I am in a trailer park & EVERY week the water is shut off at 5 am & is off all day into the night. Everytime we are told the main is broken & they are replacing the pipe. We have a baby & NEED water. Don't they have to supply something for our toilets & drinking water? If so when?

You should seek an attorney. What you have described seems to me to run afoul of Maryland landlord tenant law. Specifically section 8-211 of the Real Property article. Unless you are solely responsible for paying the utility bill. "This section provides a remedy and imposes an obligation upon landlords to repair and eliminate conditions and defects which constitute, or if not promptly corrected will constitute, a fire hazard or a serious and substantial threat to the life, health or safety of occupants, including, but not limited to: (1) Lack of heat, light, electricity, or hot or cold running water, except where the tenant is responsible for the payment of the utilities and the lack thereof is the direct result of the tenant's failure to pay the charges" To not provide you with water, and based on the fact that you have a baby, shutting off the water all day, everyday (I'm assuming based on your facts) is probably not reasonable. Again, seek a landlord-tenant attorney to investigate your situation further to evaluate whether you have a claim.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.

It is one day a week sometimes two. It is just frustrating that every week they are allegedly replacing the bad pipe but several days later it happens again to the same main same place...That and their refusal to at least provide some sort of potable water for use in the intermediary

My colleague is correct. A landlord's failure to provide water is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Landlord-tenant topics