What is the responsibility of a landlord regarding providing water to tenants during outages

Asked over 1 year ago - Severn, MD

I am in a trailer park & EVERY week the water is shut off at 5 am & is off all day into the night. Everytime we are told the main is broken & they are replacing the pipe. We have a baby & NEED water. Don't they have to supply something for our toilets & drinking water? If so when?

1. Bennett James Wills

Pro

1

Answered . You should seek an attorney. What you have described seems to me to run afoul of Maryland landlord tenant law. Specifically section 8-211 of the Real Property article. Unless you are solely responsible for paying the utility bill. "This section provides a remedy and imposes an obligation upon landlords to repair and eliminate conditions and defects which constitute, or if not promptly corrected will constitute, a fire hazard or a serious and substantial threat to the life, health or safety of occupants, including, but not limited to: (1) Lack of heat, light, electricity, or hot or cold running water, except where the tenant is responsible for the payment of the utilities and the lack thereof is the direct result of the tenant's failure to pay the charges" To not provide you with water, and based on the fact that you have a baby, shutting off the water all day, everyday (I'm assuming based on your facts) is probably not reasonable. Again, seek a landlord-tenant attorney to investigate your situation further to evaluate whether you have a claim.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . My colleague is correct. A landlord's failure to provide water is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.