What is the relocation laws for non custodial parents?

Asked about 1 year ago - Newberg, OR

We have standard visitation agreement. I have full custody. The non custodial parent, gave 10 days notice to relocating to Colorado. Now as he moved 5 days ago, today he says that he gets the entire summer except two week and if I want to see him for those two weeks, I will need to pay for that airplane ticket. Our son has a 4H pig that he just bought to raise for fair, has 4H camp and a basketball camp. All of this was planned before he told us he was moving. I want him to see his Dad but I am objecting to the entire summer.

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

Answered . Unless and until he files to have his visitation modified by the court, you do not have to send your son to CO for the summer. However, if the visitation order says he gets 2 weeks in the summer you still need to send him if he pays for the airfare AND you have his address, phone number. Good luck.

2. Jay Bodzin

1

Answered . As long as the current custody order remains in effect, you're both obliged to follow it to the best of your ability. So whatever time the father would have had with the child under the old plan, he should still have. That will obviously be quite impossible if the old schedule was "every other weekend" or the like. If that's the case, then one of you ought to file a motion to modify the custody judgment in light of these new circumstances. You can read more about these laws here: http://www.northwestlawoffice.com/custody.html

Please read the following notice: