What is the reasonable amount of attorneys fess (in %) I can ask the court to order to my ex to pay me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I incurred around $20K of attorneys fess due to the divorce/custody battle. I have not received anything yet from my ex husband. I am a stay home mom with the infant and has not been working in the last 2 years. My ex is making over $135K per year. I do not get any of the spousal support (short marriage). He pays a child support only. What is the reasonable amount I can ask court for him to reimburse me for the attorney fess? I have borrowed lots of money to pay for attorneys. Thanks.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Nadine Marie Jett

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am curious as to why you do not ask this question of your attorney??

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Melissa Kay-Peterson Roudabush

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Attorney's fees in CA family law are based on 2 factors: your need, and your ex-husband's ability to pay your attorney's fees. It definitely sounds like a matter you should discuss with your attorney, as, on its face, you meet these factors.

    My answers on Avvo are not meant as legal advice and should not be costrued as legal advice. In addition,this... more
  3. Edna Carroll Straus

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . There is no percentage formula. if there were it s would probably be his income divided your income-- but there's not. Getting the award is something your attorney will pursue. Getting it paid? Not so easy.

    That money would have been FAR better spent on a mediation or a collaboration-- or other interest based negotiation.

    Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by... more
  4. Stephen Andrew Hamer

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your attorney should answer that question and help you request it of the court. Probably will file Affidavit proving the hours he/she worked

    I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL. Steve Hamer answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,512 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,512 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering