What is the reasonable amount of attorneys fess (in %) I can ask the court to order to my ex to pay me?

I incurred around $20K of attorneys fess due to the divorce/custody battle. I have not received anything yet from my ex husband. I am a stay home mom with the infant and has not been working in the last 2 years. My ex is making over $135K per year. I do not get any of the spousal support (short marriage). He pays a child support only. What is the reasonable amount I can ask court for him to reimburse me for the attorney fess? I have borrowed lots of money to pay for attorneys. Thanks.

1. I am curious as to why you do not ask this question of your attorney??

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. **************CAUTION*************** CAUTION*************** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION************ Readers should be cautioned that AVVO cannot be relied on as they have a corrupt and dishonest rating system. AVVO routinely allows "client reviews" to be posted by individuals that are not "real" clients. AVVO does not ensure that the public receives truthful accurate information.

2. Your attorney should answer that question and help you request it of the court. Probably will file Affidavit proving the hours he/she worked

I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL. Steve Hamer answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help, contact Mr. Hamer at (214) 843-1529 for a FREE CONSULTATION.

3. There is no percentage formula. if there were it s would probably be his income divided your income-- but there's not. Getting the award is something your attorney will pursue. Getting it paid? Not so easy.

That money would have been FAR better spent on a mediation or a collaboration-- or other interest based negotiation.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: ECSEsquire@AOL.com. All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

4. Attorney's fees in CA family law are based on 2 factors: your need, and your ex-husband's ability to pay your attorney's fees. It definitely sounds like a matter you should discuss with your attorney, as, on its face, you meet these factors.

My answers on Avvo are not meant as legal advice and should not be costrued as legal advice. In addition,this answer does not create a confidential attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship will only exist after both the attorney and the client have signed a representation agreement.