What is the reasonable amount of attorneys fess (in %) I can ask the court to order to my ex to pay me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I incurred around $20K of attorneys fess due to the divorce/custody battle. I have not received anything yet from my ex husband. I am a stay home mom with the infant and has not been working in the last 2 years. My ex is making over $135K per year. I do not get any of the spousal support (short marriage). He pays a child support only. What is the reasonable amount I can ask court for him to reimburse me for the attorney fess? I have borrowed lots of money to pay for attorneys. Thanks.

1. Nadine Marie Jett

2

1

Answered . I am curious as to why you do not ask this question of your attorney??

2. Melissa Kay-Peterson Roudabush

1

Answered . Attorney's fees in CA family law are based on 2 factors: your need, and your ex-husband's ability to pay your attorney's fees. It definitely sounds like a matter you should discuss with your attorney, as, on its face, you meet these factors.

3. Edna Carroll Straus

Answered . There is no percentage formula. if there were it s would probably be his income divided your income-- but there's not. Getting the award is something your attorney will pursue. Getting it paid? Not so easy.

That money would have been FAR better spent on a mediation or a collaboration-- or other interest based negotiation.

4. Stephen Andrew Hamer

1

Answered . Your attorney should answer that question and help you request it of the court. Probably will file Affidavit proving the hours he/she worked