What is the reason for a guardian ad litem in an adult guardianship proceedings?

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

My attorney requested a guardian ad litem for the adult guardianship proceedings, I did not know this until the proceedings were filed. What was the possible reasons for my attorney's action.

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

2

1

Answered . This is common in many instances. The guardian ad litem represents the interests of the alleged incapacitated person. The attorney for the proposed guardian represents that person, and since the person who is alleged to be incompetent can't understand what is going on (at least in theory) the guardian ad litem acts on that person's behalf. Usually this is in the interim and only during the proceedings until the permanent guardian is named.