What is the reason for a guardian ad litem in an adult guardianship proceedings?

New York, NY |

My attorney requested a guardian ad litem for the adult guardianship proceedings, I did not know this until the proceedings were filed. What was the possible reasons for my attorney's action.

1. This is common in many instances. The guardian ad litem represents the interests of the alleged incapacitated person. The attorney for the proposed guardian represents that person, and since the person who is alleged to be incompetent can't understand what is going on (at least in theory) the guardian ad litem acts on that person's behalf. Usually this is in the interim and only during the proceedings until the permanent guardian is named.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

Child custody topics