What is the ramifications of releasing my insurance limits?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Maria, CA

After my daughter was involved in an accident for which she was responsible, my insurer sent a letter request from the claimant's attorney to release information regarding my policy limit in CA. Is there any reason not to give consent?

1. Armen Michael Tashjian

Pro

11

Answered . If the other party is seriously hurt and you refuse to release the information, you are leaving them no choice but to sur you. Once you're sued they'll easily find out the limits by sending form interrogatories. Let them know the limits and tell your insurance company to settle your case within your policy limits. If they refuse to settle and your daughter gets an excess judgment, your insurer has to pay the excess or face a bad faith suit.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

9

Answered . Let the attorney assigned to you by the insurance company advice you regarding this issue. You do not want to interfere with his startegy. Best of luck.

3. Sean Michael Patrick

9

Answered . No. If you were the at fault party you want to give the other side every reason to settle for the policy limits or below so as to avoid any excess judgment. By providing the limits, it expedites that process. Cooperate with your insurance company, since its ultimately their money, they will be a zealous advocate for you. Best of luck.

Pro

7

Answered . No. You want them to settle within limits.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Marcus William Morales

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If the owner and operator of the responsible vehicle lack sufficient assets it would be advantageous to send policy limits to the plaintiff's attorney. That way the plaintiff's attorney know that is most likely the max he can gain for his client. Give YOUR insurance company the consent to release policy limits and then they will protect your best interest. Good luck with your case.

Marcus W. Morales, Esq.
    Law Offices of Marcus William Morales
    115 W. Mission St.
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    (805) 845-5405
    Santa Barbara Lawyer Offering Free Consultations
    www.marcusmoraleslaw.com

6. Timothy James Ryan

1

Answered . I can never understand why insurers don’t release their insurance limits when requested by claimant’s Attorney. In 32 years I’ve never seen the down side in an insured releasing limits, if anything else it will help expedite resolution of claim and avoid your daughter from being sued.