What is the purpose of an iv-d original hearing in florida?

Asked about 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

My childs father is over 5,000 dollars in arrears and has not been paying his court ordered child support amount for over a year. he was in an accident an is due an personal injury settlement, and also have a contempt of court court date set. i just got another letter about a iv-d original hearing.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Vanessa Alexandra Vasquez de Lara


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . IV-D hearings are from the Department of Child Support Enforcement. They are probably attempting to assist you in the collection of your child support payments. I would advise you to go and to inform the attorney that the Father is due to receive some money soon.

    Good luck,

    Vanessa Vasquez de Lara, Esq.
    Attorney at Law
    7700 N. Kendall Drive, Suite 412
    Miami, FL 33156
    (305) 984-4287

  2. Mark Scott Rubin

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . as already stated, make sure you notify your DOR attorney about the settlement before the hearing - also bring it up at the hearing to the Judge. Make sure the attorney and the Court is aware of the name and address of the father's personal injury attorney because they will most definitely put a lien on the settlement (so it cannot be distributed to him without you collecting or after a stipulation), because the Order with the Lien needs to be sent to his personal injury attorneys so they know they cannot distribute the money to their client without satisfying your lien.

    Family law rules differ significantly in every state, especially procedural rules. Always seek the advice of an... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,552 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,552 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering