Skip to main content

What is the punishment of changing the birth date on birth certificate and marry with someone based on fake age?

Bothell, WA |

I married 3 years ago.recently i understood that my wife changed her date of birth on birth certificate and married me with that fake document.She lowered the age by 5 years and so she would be 6 years older than me actually.I feel deceived and i do not know if i can stop the prosecution whenever i want or not..

Attorney Answers 2


Unless you or the wife was under the age of marriage (18 in WA), how old each of you was is not relevant to whether your marriage is valid. There is no law in WA that would, for example, prohibit a 60-year-old woman from marrying a 20-year-old man if they are eligible to marry and want to marry each other.

"i do not know if i can stop the prosecution". I do not understand what you mean by "prosecution" in that sentence.

If you no longer want to be married, you can file a petition to dissolve your marriage.

You should review the specific facts with your attorney to find out what your legal options may be.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


So you seriously didn't know how old the woman you were marrying was? Fraud generally makes the contract voidable. This means the marriage contract is valid unless you take the necessary steps for an annulment.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics