What is the punishment for theft under $500 in Tennessee? Is there any way to get this taken off of my record?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rogersville, TN

I am currently enrolled in nursing school and will be graduating in December 2012. I had a DUI almost 3yrs ago but paid all my fines, served 48hrs, did community service and everything else that was required. I did not use a Title 40 during this time. The charge was out of town. I was wondering if there is any way to keep this off of my record. I am $30,000 in debt with school loans and am so afraid that I will not be able to get a job after this charge. My trial date is October 1st 2012. I have been appointed a public defender. What do you think?

1. Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Pro

1

1

Answered . Theft of Property under 500 is a Class A misdemeanor that carries up to 11 months and 29 days in jail. You are not eligible for judicial diversion because of the prior guilty plea and pre-trial diversion is not available because the DUI wasn't at least 5 years ago. Assuming the victim is a store (e.g., shoplifting) your best option would be merchants restitution and your attorney and the DA would need to work that out with the victim.

2. Vernon Michael Kurtz

Answered . Most courts have a "informal" process for handling such crimes as what you have been charged with. Generally it would entail the store being reimbursed (restitution) for any loss they incurred and good behavior for a period of time and the charge is dismissed or "retired". These are not serious crimes but could have a very negative impact for you trying to get employment.