What is the punishment for theft by taking for a first time offender?

Gainesville, GA |

I have been charged with theft by taking. The amount was $2,600... Was asked to return and returned all but $400 dollars... What can I expect as a first time offender.... I turned myself in

1. As mentioned in the answer to your other question, you really want to talk to a local lawyer to address the specifics of the case, especially due to your prior record and your future criminal justice endeavors. Good luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

2. Yes, as Mr. Sternisha said, hire yourself an attorney. This type of case is one where an attorney can really make a difference, if you can stay out of future trouble. HIRE AN ATTORNEY!

There is a possibility that your case can be treated as a misdemeanor, even though the amount is over the felony amount. There is also the possibility you could just go through a diversion program or some other informal resolution that does not involve a conviction. The maximum penalty is probably going to be 10 years in prison, if treated as a felony, but that is not a firm answer, as I would have some questions.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

The information is for general information purposes only. Receipt of this information or e-mail from our website, or other communications should NOT be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.

3. Theft by taking of more than $500 is a felony with a punishment of up to ten years in jail.

As a practical matter you're not going to get ten years in jail. However, your sentence will depend on the facts of your case so it's hard to speculate on what to expect. If you have a clean criminal record, pay back all of the stolen money and turned yourself in, those are all facts that will help you get a lesser sentence.

You need to hire a good criminal defense lawyer. After reviewing your case, he or she will be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

Ask your lawyer about the possibility of entering a "First Offender" plea, which would keep you from having a felony conviction on your record.