What is the punishment for simple battery in Illinois, specifically Cook county?

Oak Park, IL |

I'm just looking to find out what the punishment for a charge of simple battery is. I have a copy of the police report.

1. Battery is a criminal charge punishable by a maximum of 364 days in the Cook County Jail. There are many non-jail dispositions possible as well. As this is a serious criminal charge, you should consult with a criminal attorney to discuss your case. Most criminal defense firms, including ours, will give you a one time no charge consultation.

Law Offices of Matthew R Gebhardt, P.C.
    555 Skokie Blvd.
    Suite 500
    Northbrook IL 60062
    (847) 239-4703
    mrglaw@sbcglobal.net

2. Simple battery is a Class A misdemeanor which is punishable by any combination of $2500 in fines and up to a year in jail

3. The other attorneys have properly stated the maximum penalties for a misdemeanor battery. Generally speaking, you are unlikely to be sentenced to jail if found guilty, or if you plead guilty. However, the sentence will depend on a number of factors not mentioned in your question. Primarily, this will be what the specific facts are and what, if any, prior criminal history you have.

A disposition of court supervision is available under the law, which would allow you to later expunge the arrest (again, depending on prior criminal history). You need to arrange a consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most of us would provide that at no cost.