What is the punishment for lying to a police officer?

Denham Springs, LA |

I am sixteen years old and last night I got caught being out past curfew. Panicked, I told the cop that one of my close mother figures was my mom because I didn't want to get in trouble. Not the smartest decision, I know, but I messed up. Anyway, when she got there, she told the cop that she wasn't my real mother. I ended up having to call my real mom and when she got there, the cop told her that I was going to be ticketed for being out past curfew and I was told I'll be given a court date soon for providing false information. I was wondering what kind of charges I could receive for lying to the police officer and what the punishment of those charges could possibly be. Thank you.

It sounds as if your behavior fits the crime of Resisting Arrest, as defined by La RS 14:108 --
"Refusal by the arrested or detained party to give his name and make his identity known to the arresting or detaining officer or providing false information regarding the identity of such party to the officer."
This crime is a misdemeanor "Whoever commits the crime of resisting an officer shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than six months, or both."

However, given your age, I am doubtful that they will charge you with this offense. They may charge you with simple criminal mischief.

Remember: The police decide the offenses under which they wish to arrest you. The DA decides if you will be charged and how you will be charged. Just because the police said that -- doesn't mean that you will be charged accordingly.

For future reference read these 2 articles that I wrote. It is very important to know what your rights are.

The information presented is for information purposes only. An attorney client relationship is not formed.