What is the punishment for food stamp fraud

Louisville, MS |

food stamp fraud

1. The application for food stamps spells out the range of penalties for commiting food stamp fraud. If you are found by a court or government agency to have made false or misleading statements or omitted material facts to get food stamps, use food stamps, or transfer foods stamps, under 7 U.S.C. 2015(b)(1), you will become ineligible for further participation in the Food Stamp Program for a period of 1 year, for the first offense, 2 years in the case of a second offense, and permanent ineligibilty for the third offense.

Under 7 USC 2024(b), (c) and (h), if you knowingly use, transfer, acquire, alter, or possess food stamp benefits "in any manner contrary to the Food Stamp Act" you can be fined and imprisoned. If the value of the benefits is $5,000 or more, then you can be fined up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for 20 years. If the value is less than $5,000 but greater than $100, punishments include a fine of $10,000 and/or imprisonment for 5 years. If the value is less than $100, punishments include a fine of $1,000 and/or imprisonment for 1 year.

If this answer helpful, please give me a thumbs up review below.

Disclaimer: My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.