What is the punishment for first offence 2nd degree domestic violence?

Asked about 4 years ago - Lindenwold, NJ

i was put in a chokehold that cut my airway briefly and because it cut off my airway its being charged as 2nd degree but its my boyfriends first offense what are the punishments of this?

1. Elliot S Stomel

Pro

Answered . In New Jersey, domestic violence is not a crime in and of itself. In order to properly answer your question, I would need to know the specific criminal charge. Based upon the facts represented, it sounds like your boyfriend has been charged with "Aggravated Assault" under N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1b(1). Under that provision of the statute, a person is guilty of a 2nd degree crime who "attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another, or causes such injury purposely or knowingly or under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life recklessly causes such injury." A person convicted of a 2nd degree crime faces a term of imprisonment from 5 to 10 years. Again, I would need to know the specific charge to give you a more definite answer. Your boyfriend should contact an attorney immediately if he has not already done so.

2. Susan M Rumpf

Answered . Your boyfriend needs to contact a criminal attorney immediately.