Skip to main content

What is the punishment for falsifying an official document?(A birth certificate).

Hays, KS |

I know it's a crime.But,is it a felony?And what is the maximum penalty in the state of KS?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As my colleague correctly pointed out, KS classifies falsification of official documentation such as a birth certificate as a Class A misdemeanor. For a Class A misdemeanor, the highest penalty is 1 year of jail time. I am unsure as to whether fines accompany the penalty. I am guessing they will but you would want to consult with a criminal defense attorney in KS regarding same. Of note, if you have prior criminal convictions on your record, those prior convictions will be taken into consideration when determining the penalty. The more extensive your criminal history, the more serious your sentence will be.

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. If you'd like to discuss your matter further and set up an appointment to meet, contact Law Offices of Jennifer M. Mendelsohn: (201) 796-7700.


I have posted a link below for you. It's a link to the Office of the Inspector General, Department of Health and Human Services, BIrth Certificate Fraud Publication.

I hope this helps you.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.


In my state its a Class I misdemeanor (1 yr/$2500 fine).

With a quick check of KS statutes it appears to be a Class A misdemeanor. Like my state, the KS Class A Misdemeanor carries up to a one year jail sentence (See KS 21-3812)

I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, answering your query does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights--or rights to recovery of damages. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer