What is the punishment for backing into a parked car and leaving the scene?

Asked over 3 years ago - Blue Springs, MO

I backed into a car in a parking lot, I didn't notice any damage so I left, I felt guilty and reported it to the police 2 days later and contacted my insurance company to make sure they paid if there was in fact damage to the cars bumper.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Usually, this would be a Class A misdemeanor. Here is the statute.

2. Donald Curtis Kudler

Answered . I'm licensed in Nevada, but this answer should apply in Missouri as well.

I'm glad to hear you attempted to do the right thing and reported the accident after the fact. I'm assuming you were able to give the police information regarding the car you hit as well. If you were able to do so, the police might get word to the owner. However, this may not be the case. If you can find the other car easily, I would leave a note explaining what happened so they may contact your insurer if needed. In any case, the relevant statute can be found at http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/577000....

Hope this helps.

/s Donald Kudler
    http://www.capandkudler.com

3. Jeffrey Michael Donato

Answered . Just a quick thought. Although you did what is ethically and morally right, and even possibly legally required, there may be legal consequences. You should check with a local attorney to find out what local laws were violated (if any) and what the consequences are. Good luck.

THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT IMPLY OR CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS IMPLIED OR CREATED BY RESPONDING OR FAILING TO RESPOND TO THIS RESPONSE. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. FOR LEGAL ADVICE, YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.