What is the punishment for a first offense Domestic Voilence?

Asked over 5 years ago - Gloucester City, NJ

Me and my boyfriend got into a big fight. He threw a notebook in my face, so I slapped him. Then he gripped me up by my throat, and then hit me in the back of the head. I went to the police to press charges and got a temporary restraining order. I want to drop the charges and restraining order, but the state is pressing charges. The only marks I had were some redness at first. No bruises. He has never had any domestic violence charges, but I'm afraid that if the state charges him, it will mess his chances up of ever getting a good job. Is it a felony? Will the state drop it if I don't press the charges? Will he go to jail? He is not a criminal and I'm going to feel terrible if they persue the charges and he gets any felonies on his record, or even worse, if he goes to jail.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Howard Woodley Bailey


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The sentencing consequences will depend on the specific charges filed against him, and the gradation of those charges. In addition, there are numerous other considerations that can affect the sentence. That being said, a Disorderly Persons graded offense exposes him to up to 6 months in jail, and an indictable graded crime exposes him to a State Prison sentence of 18 months on a 4th degree, and 3-5 years on a third degree. You should seperately consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer to see what your options are as the victim/complainant. Good luck.

    While I do practice law in NJ, this information is offered for informational purposes only. It is not intended as legal advice and you should not rely upon it to decide how to resolve this issue. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established by this response. You are faced with a situation where you need to consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in NJ before you make any decisions as to how to resolve this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,242 answers this week

2,378 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,242 answers this week

2,378 attorneys answering