Skip to main content

What is the protocol in getting a new parental coordinator? What do we need to do? We have a very one sided coordinator who

Closter, NJ |

sides with my ex husband and nothing ever gets resolved.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If a Parenting Coordinator was appointed or otherwise assinged within an Order of the court you would need to file a Motion requesting that the Judge modify the appointment, absent securing the consent of your ex. You should understand that if the Judge initially appointed the coordinator it is not very likely that the Judge would believe that person to be biased.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
New Jersey Family Law Attorney

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


Mr. White is correct. Try and get your ex to agree to a having a new coordinator appointed or file a motion with the Court to have a new one appointed. Option 1 is the easier way to get this accomplished if he is on board. But, it can be difficult to accomplish if you have to resort to Option 2. Motion practice can become a bit difficult for those who are unfamiliar with the process involved. You may consider consulting with a family law attorney for further assistance so they can review the facts and circumstances of your case to get a better grasp on how you should be advised to proceed.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.


It is important to note that the program regarding Parent Coordinators throughout the State of New Jersey has changed. The Court can no longer appoint a coordinator on it's own; both parties MUST agree to coordination and can either select a coordinator or the Court can appoint an individual.

My colleagues are correct with their assessments that if this Coordinator was appointed, then it is unlikely that the Court will simply think the Coordinator is "biased." If the Court utilized the standard appointment Order, there are mechanisms for you to challenge a coordinator's recommendation and/or seek termination of their services.

If the issues are substantive enough that you feel your legal rights are being eroded, you have the ability to file an application to challenge the recommendations. As part of doing so, you could ask that the coordinator be replaced, but it depends on the very specific circumstance of your matter.

You should speak with a lawyer who is experienced in family law to get some understanding of whether what you believe is "siding with your ex" rises to the level that a Court will review and take into consideration.

Good luck.

The information presented in this answer is for informational purposes only. The answer or the information contained within should, in no way, be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer