What is the proper way to cancel a Power of Attorney?

I completed a Power of Attorney for my son's father (school, medical, etc). I would now like to cancel it. What is the proper way to cancel?

Woodbridge, VA -

Attorney Answers (3)

Geneva Nicole Perry

Geneva Nicole Perry

Estate Planning Attorney - Hampton, VA

It sounds as though your son is a minor (under 18 years) in which case what you are really trying to do is ensure that only you have sole legal custody (the right to make all decisions for your son). Legal custody of a minor is an issue that must be addressed by a court. You might want to re-post this question under the heading of "family law" or "child custody" and include what has happened that makes you now want to not have his father involved.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal... more
James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Power of Attorney Lawyer - Livonia, MI

You would send a written revocation letter to your son's father and anyone he may have been dealing with. The idea is to provide notice to anyone concerned that the form is no longer valid.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

You would send a written revocation to the father and also make sure that anywhere it might be used also has a copy.
You would also have the original recorded at the courhouse.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.