What is the proper way to cancel a Power of Attorney?

Woodbridge, VA |

I completed a Power of Attorney for my son's father (school, medical, etc). I would now like to cancel it. What is the proper way to cancel?

You would send a written revocation letter to your son's father and anyone he may have been dealing with. The idea is to provide notice to anyone concerned that the form is no longer valid.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

It sounds as though your son is a minor (under 18 years) in which case what you are really trying to do is ensure that only you have sole legal custody (the right to make all decisions for your son). Legal custody of a minor is an issue that must be addressed by a court. You might want to re-post this question under the heading of "family law" or "child custody" and include what has happened that makes you now want to not have his father involved.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on. Legal advice can only be provided after consultation with an attorney with experience in the area in which your concern lies. This is so because each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and/or documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

You would send a written revocation to the father and also make sure that anywhere it might be used also has a copy.
You would also have the original recorded at the courhouse.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Recommended articles about Family law