What is the process you go about in getting a counterfeit money charge dropped on a juvenile?

My brother (15 yrs old) was recently pulled over and the car was searched. They found marijuana in his friend's purse, but it was not his and they found 3 grams in his pocket that was inside a pill bottle. At first, they charged him with all of the marijuana because he was driving, even though it was in his friend's purse. They ended up dropping these charges because they found 2 counterfeit $100 bills in his wallet. He stated that he found these at school and did not know they were fake. How would we go about proving that he did not know these bills were fake and what would be the process we would have to go through? What could be his possible punishment? Would it be worth fighting? Thanks for your help.

Cypress, TX -

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Criminal Defense Attorney - Dallas, TX

He fights his case by hiring an experienced defense attorney. The State has to prove he knew they were fake, which is almost as hard as it sounds. Every case I've had like that in Dallas I've gotten dismissed. So yes, it's worth fighting.

Peyton Zimmerman Peebles III

Peyton Zimmerman Peebles III

Criminal Defense Attorney - Houston, TX

You don't have to prove what he knew or didn't know. The government has to prove that he knew. Having said that, lawyers are required to investigate their case and any smart lawyer will try and gather evidence to refute the State's assumptions. This involves interviewing possible witnesses, subpoenaing documents, etc.

Vicki Elaine Wiley

Vicki Elaine Wiley

Juvenile Law Attorney - Fort Worth, TX

Your brother needs a good juvenile defense attorney. Please consult an attorney in your local area. Many attorneys, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case. Take all documentation with you for review by any attorney you contact, you will get a better assessment of your possible options and outcomes

Related Advice