What is the process to regain custody of my child if a guardian ad litem has been appointed

Asked about 6 years ago - Orlando, FL

My 14 year daughter has been appointed a Gurdian at Litem. Currently, I am in a battle to regain custody of my daughter. She was in my care for the 1st 7years and her father the secound 7 years. During a rough patch in my life I turned to the father- he only has temp custody. Her grades are poor, she is overweight, and very unhappy living with him. he is unemployed, physically abusive to other children in the home, etc... What things can I do to improve my chances of being granted custody???????

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jeffrey Patrick Bassett

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You don't indicate whether there is an ongoing dependency matter or not. Typically, a GAL is appointed (if available) if there is an open dependency case. If this is the issue in your case, you can best improve your chances of being granted custody by complying with court ordered case plan tasks and attending all hearings, to demonstrate your responsibility and your intentions with respect to your child.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,491 answers this week

2,253 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,491 answers this week

2,253 attorneys answering