Skip to main content

What is the process to file harassment charges ?

Chalfont, PA |

My 17 year old daughter has been continually harassed by another 17 year old girl, now it's gone ot threatening text'x, "you're dead" "gonna rot in hell". People are telling me to file harassment and terroristic threats against her ? How do you go about that and what happens after you file with the local police ?
Thank You

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Call the cops and tell them you want to file charges for harassment. Have you considered contacting the girl's parents, however? I'm sure your own daughter would be appalled if you did that, but I'm not sure she's going to like appearing in District Court to testify against the other girl either. I'm also sure the local police would appreciate you trying to handle it between the parents before getting them involved. Just some thoughts.

If you do file charges, the cops will file the paperwork with your local Magisterial District Court and the other girl will get a summons to appear in Court for a summary trial. Your daughter will have to testify against her, and should save the texts as evidence of the threats. The cops will likely run a phone check to verify that the texting phone belongs to the other girl. The District Judge will then make a decision.

Best of luck to you, and hope everything eventually works out.

Cary B. Hall, Esquire
Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.
121 East Chestnut Street, Suite 205
Souderton, PA 18964
T: (267) 663-9995
F: (215) 525-4364


You have the option of saving the evidence, which would include copies of all text messages, and filing a report with your local police department. The police will investigae and decide if they will file charges. If they decide against filing charges, you have the option of going to your local district court and requesting a Private Criminal Complaint packet. You can complete that packet and file it with the district court. The court will then forward the packet to the District Attorney's Office who will decide if charges will be filed.

The charges could be citations, which would be handled at the district court, or criminal charges, which would be handled in Juvenile Court since the girl who is harassing your daughter is under 18 years of age.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer