What is the process to disclaim an inheritance in Marquette, MI?

Asked 8 months ago - Marquette, MI

My grandfather passed away several years ago and did not leave a will; one of my uncles is the executor of the estate, and both of my parents are also deceased, so I am an heir to the estate. I was out of contact with the executor until recently and the estate has not been resolved or closed (there is real estate property that has not yet been sold). I am not interested in the inheritance and would like to disclaim any and all rights to it. I have not received any proceeds from the estate to date. Is there a form I can file that will allow me to do this?

1. James P. Frederick

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. There is no pre-printed form. I would contact the attorney for the executor and notify him/her of your desire to disclaim your interest and I would have the attorney draw up the paperwork for you to do so.

James Frederick

2. Peter L. Conway

6

1

Answered . I do not believe that Michigan has a form that you can use. However, you, or the personal representative, can easily create a disclaimer. The caption would be "disclaimer". You would then make a written statement: "I disclaim any interest in the estate of _________________." You would then sign the statement, print your name under your signature and provide your address and telephone number. This document would then be signed and then filed with with the probate registrar in the County where the estate is located.

3. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

5

1

Answered . An affidavit of disclaim would suffice.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

5

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Conway-but
    It would be best for an attorney to prepare
    and discuss the do and dont's, and timing
    issues and file it for you.
    You might have a timing issue concerning a disclaimer(at least on the federal tax level).