What is the process of removal proceedings?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Norcross, GA

My husband got stopped for no licensevand was put under removal proceedings and i want to know how many courts come after his master hearing and if he doesnt have an attorney can he get an extension granted to look for one

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must get an attorney for removal proceedings. Mistakes at the early stages will result in tragic circumstances years from now. Do not spare expense. Hire the best lawyer (not always the most expensive) for your case. The lawyer should have substantial removal proceeding and immigration experience and be respected by his/her peers.

  2. Lino Raul Rodriguez Jr.


    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . After years of only practicing in Atlanta immigration court -- the short answer is yes; it's likely that the immigration judge will grant a continuance if this is his first appearance but, consider the gravity of the situation. This is a very serious situation that absolutely necessitates a professional with removal defense experience. At the very least you should consult with an immigration attorney prior to your first master calendar hearing.

  3. Jennifer Doerrie

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hello,

    Most immigration judges will grant an extension at the first master calendar hearing to allow a respondent in court proceedings to try to find an attorney. However, it is rare to receive more than one extension for that purpose, and the Immigration Court does not have any court-appointed attorneys. Certainly, it is a good idea to obtain legal counsel in removal proceedings. You can look for experienced immigration attorneys here on Avvo, at www.aila.org or www.immigrationlawhelp.com. You may wish to contact Catholic Charities or Latin American Association in Atlanta for potential case assessment or possible referrals to private attorneys if you and your husband do not meet the requirements for those agencies.

    Regarding the number of hearings, there is not a particular number beyond one. That depends on the case, whether the respondent is eligible for and requesting any kind of relief from removal (deportation), and how backed up the court is with scheduling. An experienced immigration attorney can help advise what to expect from the court and hearing process once she/he assesses your husband's circumstances in more detail.

    Best wishes,

    Ms. Doerrie's answer to your question is general in nature, as not all facts and circumstances relating to the... more
  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Don't do this without an attorney.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,469 answers this week

2,751 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,469 answers this week

2,751 attorneys answering