What is the process of filing a Chapter 7?

I have no assets, been unemployed for over a year, and have 2 lawsuits pending.

Step One - Meet with lawyers and choose one.

Step one: consult with experienced bankruptcy attorney and ask if you even need a bankruptcy at present. If you are "collection-proof" the answer could well be "no, for now."

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Diane L Gruber

Diane L Gruber

Check out the steps for a Ch.7 in my "legal guide." It can be found on my profile page of this website.

I agree with my colleagues. If you have nothing, your creditors will get nothing. If you get a job and it pays more than minimum wage, you might be at risk for a wage levy. If that were to happen, you can file a claim of exemption on the grounds that 100% of your wages are necessary to support yourself (and spouse/children if you have them). Hold off on playing the BK card until you really need it because you can only file Chapter 7 every 8 years. If you want more assurance, contact a BK attorney offering a free consultation.

The filing of a bankruptcy petition will stop the lawsuits in their tracks and, should you receive a discharge, the suits will go away forever.

You can get free bankruptcy assistance at Public Counsel
Click on
Services
Consumer Law
Seminars and Clinics
Bankruptcy Pro Se Clinic
http://www.publiccounsel.org/seminars_clinics?id=0016
Good luck!

Step one Hire a lawyer. Step two pay him. Step three do what he tells you.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt