What is the process of filing a Chapter 7?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have no assets, been unemployed for over a year, and have 2 lawsuits pending.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Scott Benjamin Riddle


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Step One - Meet with lawyers and choose one.

  2. Stuart Gregory Steingraber

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If you have nothing, your creditors will get nothing. If you get a job and it pays more than minimum wage, you might be at risk for a wage levy. If that were to happen, you can file a claim of exemption on the grounds that 100% of your wages are necessary to support yourself (and spouse/children if you have them). Hold off on playing the BK card until you really need it because you can only file Chapter 7 every 8 years. If you want more assurance, contact a BK attorney offering a free consultation.

  3. Justin Drayton Graham

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The filing of a bankruptcy petition will stop the lawsuits in their tracks and, should you receive a discharge, the suits will go away forever.

  4. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Step one: consult with experienced bankruptcy attorney and ask if you even need a bankruptcy at present. If you are "collection-proof" the answer could well be "no, for now."

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  5. Sandra Maria Nutt

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can get free bankruptcy assistance at Public Counsel
    Click on
    Consumer Law
    Seminars and Clinics
    Bankruptcy Pro Se Clinic
    Good luck!

  6. Brad Francis Weil

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Step one Hire a lawyer. Step two pay him. Step three do what he tells you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,247 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,247 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering