What is the process if a US citizen marries a Dutch citizen in Holland but they are going to live in the US?

Asked 6 months ago - Glendale, CA

What needs to be done and will we be separated for a period of time?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Same as if they were married in any other place into a valid marriage, which is not against US public policy. The USC spouse would need to seek immigrant visa category for the noncitizen spouse by filing form I-130, which may be filed at the consulate for faster processing, that is if the couple reside abroad.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Jeff L. Khurgel


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are resident in Holland and if the appropriate agency within the Embassy will accept your filing there, you may be able to file in Holland, and get a speedier result on the immigrant visa petition.

    Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-... more
  3. Maria J. Marty

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You and your future spouse will have to go through the petition and immigrant visa process, resulting in an immigrant visa interview at the US embassy in Holland. You could live in Holland until its approved and then travel together to the U.S. Review http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/immediate_rela... or hire an attorney to help you.

    I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer unless we have spoken and we have entered into an attorney-client... more
  4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It does not matter where you marry as long as the marriage is valid under the laws of the place of its celebration. If you return to the US., yes you and your spouse will be separated until the immigration is processed through the American Consulate in his/her home country. It will take 6-12 months. You may want to hire the services of an immigration attorney to assure that the process proceeds smoothly.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It... more
  5. Marc Damien Sean Taylor


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The US Citizen will petition for his "alien relative" - spouse.

    Yes, you will be separated for the processing of the Immigrant Visa. It can take up to 10 months to process.

    You should consider hiring an attorney, whether myself of a colleague to prepare and file your petition.

    Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC, www.usavisanow.com, 888-645-6272, info@usavisanow.com , 224 W. 4th Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,892 answers this week

2,754 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary