What is the process if a US citizen marries a Dutch citizen in Holland but they are going to live in the US?

Asked 6 months ago - Glendale, CA

What needs to be done and will we be separated for a period of time?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

7

Answered . Same as if they were married in any other place into a valid marriage, which is not against US public policy. The USC spouse would need to seek immigrant visa category for the noncitizen spouse by filing form I-130, which may be filed at the consulate for faster processing, that is if the couple reside abroad.

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

5

Answered . If you are resident in Holland and if the appropriate agency within the Embassy will accept your filing there, you may be able to file in Holland, and get a speedier result on the immigrant visa petition.

3. Maria J. Marty

6

Answered . You and your future spouse will have to go through the petition and immigrant visa process, resulting in an immigrant visa interview at the US embassy in Holland. You could live in Holland until its approved and then travel together to the U.S. Review http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/immediate_rela... or hire an attorney to help you.

4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Pro

3

Answered . It does not matter where you marry as long as the marriage is valid under the laws of the place of its celebration. If you return to the US., yes you and your spouse will be separated until the immigration is processed through the American Consulate in his/her home country. It will take 6-12 months. You may want to hire the services of an immigration attorney to assure that the process proceeds smoothly.

5. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

4

Answered . The US Citizen will petition for his "alien relative" - spouse.

Yes, you will be separated for the processing of the Immigrant Visa. It can take up to 10 months to process.

You should consider hiring an attorney, whether myself of a colleague to prepare and file your petition.