What is the process if a US citizen marries a Dutch citizen in Holland but they are going to live in the US?

Glendale, CA |

What needs to be done and will we be separated for a period of time?

The US Citizen will petition for his "alien relative" - spouse.

Yes, you will be separated for the processing of the Immigrant Visa. It can take up to 10 months to process.

You should consider hiring an attorney, whether myself of a colleague to prepare and file your petition.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC, www.usavisanow.com, 888-645-6272, info@usavisanow.com , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You and your future spouse will have to go through the petition and immigrant visa process, resulting in an immigrant visa interview at the US embassy in Holland. You could live in Holland until its approved and then travel together to the U.S. Review http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/immediate_relatives.html or hire an attorney to help you.

I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer unless we have spoken and we have entered into an attorney-client relationship. Due to the nature of this forum, I often do not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, my responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.

If you are resident in Holland and if the appropriate agency within the Embassy will accept your filing there, you may be able to file in Holland, and get a speedier result on the immigrant visa petition.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Same as if they were married in any other place into a valid marriage, which is not against US public policy. The USC spouse would need to seek immigrant visa category for the noncitizen spouse by filing form I-130, which may be filed at the consulate for faster processing, that is if the couple reside abroad.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

It does not matter where you marry as long as the marriage is valid under the laws of the place of its celebration. If you return to the US., yes you and your spouse will be separated until the immigration is processed through the American Consulate in his/her home country. It will take 6-12 months. You may want to hire the services of an immigration attorney to assure that the process proceeds smoothly.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics