What is the process for my husband to add me, his wife, as co-owner on the title/deed for our home and property?

West Falls, NY |

Erie County

The process would be to prepare a deed conveying the property from your husband to you and your husband and to record it in the county clerk's office along with other forms including a TP584 transfer tax form and NYS equalization form. There would be no transfer tax owed.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" www.kileylawfirm.com 516 466-7900

2. He has to sign a new deed transferring the property from him to both of you as husband and wife then have the deed recorded at the county clerk. He should see a local attorney to have the deed and transfer documents drafted.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

3. See a real estate lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a New York real estate attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible.