What is the process for getting an immigration bond back

Asked over 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

after the bond has been cancelled?

1. Neil Ian Fleischer

Pro

2

Answered . When immigration bonds are cancelled, ICE notifies the Debt Management Center of the cancelled bond. After the cancellation is process (and this can take quite a long time), the obligor receives a Form I-391 Notice - Immigration Bond Cancelled. The obligor is instructed to file for a refund of the principal and any accrued interest.

When cash bonds are breached, ICE notifies the obligor through a Form I-323 (Notice - Immigration Bond Breached). ICE is entitled to keep the principal amount from breached bonds. However, the obligor is entitled to receive a payment of accrued interest.

If you have posted a cash bond as an obligor and believe that you are owed monies by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement pertaining to a cancelled (principal plus interest) or breached (interest only) immigration bond, please follow these instructions:

1. If you have the original bond receipt (Form I-305) and your copy of the bond contract (Form I-352), mail Form I-305 and Form I-352 to the address listed below.

2. If you do not have the original receipt (Form I-305), please complete Form I-395 (Affidavit in Lieu of Lost Receipt of United States Immigration and Naturalization Service for Collateral Accepted as Security) and mail a notarized original to the address listed below. Include a copy of the bond contract (Form I-352) if you have it.

Please forward bond documents or questions to:

Debt Management Center
    Attention: Bond Unit
    P.O. Box 5000
    Williston, VT 05495-5000

Telephone: (802) 288-7600
    Facsimile: (802) 288-1226

2. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

1

Answered . Attorney Fleischer has provided an excellent answer to your question.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . I agree, after reading Attorney Fleischer's answer, I can add nothing ... other than to applaud him for it being so complete.