What is the process and time frame for getting a hold lifted for probation violation so a loved one can be released from prison?

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

My bf has been in jail for a year.he was on probation in Fulton county but caught a charge in Cobb county jail he was sentenced to a year and a half on a drug charge.they sent him to coastal state to a 90 day program then he could parole out.well he completed the program on august 7th and of course the day he was supposed to be released he couldn't because he had a hold in Fulton county.the prison said they would release him before Fulton county comes to get him if he got the hold taken off and get his parole and probation ran in concurrent I know its possible but I need to know if this is something I can do myself by making a couple phone calls or do I NEED to hire my attorney.I let him know about it and he wants to charge me 1700.I just need to know what is he quickest route to end it

Attorney answers (3)

  1. William M. Brownell Jr.

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It really depends on what the hold is for. If it's as simple as missing a court date, it could take just a few phone calls, getting a bond and posting the bond. If that's all it is $1700 sounds a little steep. But if the hold is more complex than that, it will take more work and he may have to be brought back to Fulton to get the court to address the hold. Either way, it would be best if you had an attorney handle this for you.

  2. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the hold is in Fulton County State Court, and it is for missing court, then the hold can be removed almost immediately. Once removed, it takes the Fulton County system 24 to 48 hours to update, and show that the hold has been removed. Removing this type of hold is relatively easy to do.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on... more
  3. Stephen F Wallace

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The hold seems to be for a charge that is unresolved. You need to hire an attorney to address these concerns at a hearing in this issue. There is nothing you can do over the phone to dismiss the jail charge. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,199 answers this week

3,014 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,199 answers this week

3,014 attorneys answering