What is the process and time frame for getting a hold lifted for probation violation so a loved one can be released from prison?

Atlanta, GA |

My bf has been in jail for a year.he was on probation in Fulton county but caught a charge in Cobb county jail he was sentenced to a year and a half on a drug charge.they sent him to coastal state to a 90 day program then he could parole out.well he completed the program on august 7th and of course the day he was supposed to be released he couldn't because he had a hold in Fulton county.the prison said they would release him before Fulton county comes to get him if he got the hold taken off and get his parole and probation ran in concurrent I know its possible but I need to know if this is something I can do myself by making a couple phone calls or do I NEED to hire my attorney.I let him know about it and he wants to charge me 1700.I just need to know what is he quickest route to end it

1. The hold seems to be for a charge that is unresolved. You need to hire an attorney to address these concerns at a hearing in this issue. There is nothing you can do over the phone to dismiss the jail charge. Good Luck!

2. If the hold is in Fulton County State Court, and it is for missing court, then the hold can be removed almost immediately. Once removed, it takes the Fulton County system 24 to 48 hours to update, and show that the hold has been removed. Removing this type of hold is relatively easy to do.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

3. It really depends on what the hold is for. If it's as simple as missing a court date, it could take just a few phone calls, getting a bond and posting the bond. If that's all it is $1700 sounds a little steep. But if the hold is more complex than that, it will take more work and he may have to be brought back to Fulton to get the court to address the hold. Either way, it would be best if you had an attorney handle this for you.

Federal crime topics