What is the process and The price of starting divorce paperwork?

Wayland, NY |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce court

I am looking for a divorce lawyer but I first need to find out pricing. I don't know how to start up the paperwork or how much it will cost or anything. Basically, i'm hoping that someone can explain the whole process and costs and anything else I might need to know.. There will be no contending from either party.

The cost of a divorce will depend on whether there are children, assets and whether your spouse will agree to the terms of the divorce. The cost also differs from attorney to attorney. It is even possible to do a divorce without a lawyer, although that may not be a good idea. I suggest that you contact an attoney new you for a free consultation. To give you an idea of divorce and what we charge you may see the attached link to our website.

The cost of a divorce depends upon two basic things:
1 What hourly rate your attorney charges
2 How much disagreement there is that has to be resolved during the process

An uncontested divorce can be done quite inexpensively. A contested divorce can cost tens, and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars...or not, depending upon how quickly the parties reach agreement.

Hourly rates vary tremendously. I've seen rates quoted between $200 and $1100 per hour.
The difference is explained by the experience of the attorney and on the area in which you live

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

The total cost will vary depending on the particular situation. Many attorneys offer flat-fee rates for an uncontested divorce. Feel free to visit our website www.uncontesteddivorceny.com for more information regarding your options and fees.

Please note that this general response to your inquiry does not establish an attorney-client relationship.You should consult with a competent attorney for advice regarding your particular situation.

The way to price representation is to ask the lawyer(s) you are thinking of representing you. Most cases differ in total cost depending upon the facts of the case and potential complications. Get a consultation with these attorneys to discuss the case. Paying for the consultations is a small investment in order to hire the right attorney and get a good read on what lies in store for you and your options.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Typical cost locally is $2000-$2500 to hire an attorney for an uncontested divorce. You may contact me if you are interested in a free consultation.

Many great answers contained but as I simplify things.
Step 1 decide what route your going to take
either do it yourself or hire an attorney.
2. if you chose to hire an attorney go for the free consultation and come ready to ask the cost.

Feel free to contact me
BRAD S. MARGOLIS,ESQ.
nylegalstore.com
315-733-2889
iphone/ipad app nylawyer2go available at itunes store

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in NY so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.