What is the process after one wins a judgement in small claims court? How long can it take?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

Went small claims court over money owed from sale of a house.Claim was made and a judgement was won. Need to follow up with obtaining the owed money.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have to take steps to enforce the judgment. Either do it yourself or contact the Sheriff or Marshall.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Edwin Drantivy


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are pamphlets you can find at the Court you won. These

  3. Steven Warren Smollens

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Dear Small Claims Judgment Creditor:

    At the Internet site for the New York City Small Claims Court is the information you need to first know:


    Good luck.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now