Skip to main content

What is the procedure to file for U Non Immigrant status when a Waiver of Inadmissability is required?

Glenwood Springs, CO |

My mother is older than 21 and has been a victim of a Domestic Violence case with my father. I am under 21 and wish to seek U Non Immigrant status as a derivative beneficiary. Note that no paperwork has been filed pertaining to the U visa. We both require a Waiver of Inadmissibility.

I need to know how to put together the packet to send to USCIS, and what evidence is required and reccomended for this purpose.

Should the form I-601 be filed simultaneously with the I-918 Packet (I-918 I-918supA and I-918supB)?

Also, Form I-601 requires an Alien Registration number (A number) and an optional SSN. I have been approved for deferred action (Form I-821D) and I do have those documents, however my mom does not.

I am trying to file all the paperwork myself, as we can't afford an attorney.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Generally, you will need to file the I-918, I-918 Supp. B (signed by appropriate official), and the waiver is on form I-192. This waiver is broader than most, which is good for you. Note that you cannot apply until you have the I-918 Supp. B signed by the appropriate official. You should seek an attorney to help you with this process and application. If you cannot afford a private attorney, try going to a legal clinic in your area for help.

    No attorney-client relationship is formed from this communication.

  2. No, there is a completely different form, I-912. If you are doing it without an attorney and hoping to succeed, you are kidding yourself.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. If you can't afford an attorney, try to get a list of legal clinic near you. The waiver form is I-192. I really wish you good luck.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics