What is the procedure of law enforcement in NYC when arriving at the scene of a completed suicide?

Asked over 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

What is the procedure in NYC when arriving at the scene of a completed suicide, when the victim was found in the car of his garage with a gunshot wound to the head? There was no note.
Should the girlfriend have been questioned?

1. Oscar Michelen

1

Answered . There is no set protocol for how a homicide detective conducts his/her investigation contained in the NYPD manual to my knowledge. There is definitely no lawsuit that can be brought over a negligent or incomplete investigation by the police department either.

2. Craig A. Post

1

Answered . This query was posted under the wrongful death heading. No claim for wrongful death will stand against the police under the circumstances presented and while there may be certain protocols applicable to all police investigations, the decision to question any particular person is going to be made on a case by case basis. That being said, if you believe some individual or entity is, in fact, responsible for the death you are referring to and you are someone with the proper standing to assert such a claim, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible.

3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

Answered . Yes

4. Andrew Ronald Gillin

Pro

Answered . If you have information that needs to be shared with the police, it is important to do so as soon as possible. It is hard to know whether the girlfriend should have been questioned without further information. I hope this helps.