What is the procedure if for some reason I do not get my change of status approved while I'm here in the U.S?

Wichita Falls, TX |

I have lived here in America for over 8 years. I applied for a change of status a few months ago.... I am switching from an F-2 status to an F-1 status. I was just wondering, if I don't get approved, what would I have to do?

You could go abroad and apply for an F-1 visa.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

In case your application for a change of status in the US is denied by USCIS, you will need to leave and apply at for the visa at the US consulate abroad.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Leave the US and apply for a visa abroad.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with my colleagues, if the change of status is denied you could leave the country and apply for the F-1 at the consulate.

Lisa Schwamkrug - Schwamkrug, Freshwater & Lopez, PLLC. 972-865-9902. This answer is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should retain an attorney who can give you advice about the specific facts of your case. This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.