Skip to main content

What is the procedure for getting a divorce from husband who is in prison until 2016

Seattle, WA |

may husband is in prison until 2016 i want a divorce he has spent most of our marriage in prison

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You likely should review your facts and options with an attorney.

There is no legal prohibition that would prevent you from divorcing your spouse simply because he is in prison. Whether you should divorce is something that you should discuss with your attorney. (In WA, divorce is called a dissolution of marriage.)


the fact that he is in prison is not legally relevant. serve him in prison with the divorce papers and get divorced. given that he is in prison, he may be willing to sign the joinder and you would have an uncontested divorce. if not, he would have to get an atty to represent him at trial, eventhough he personally couldn't attend the trial.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer