Skip to main content

What is the potential minimum and maximum sentence for providing false affidavit to a court under the circumstances below.

Chicago, IL |

Penalty for individual providing false affidavit in attempt to lift order of protection on minor child after being deemed a threat to the child.. False information included criminal history, abuser's current address,. and narcotics abuse.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Could be perjury but more info needed

  2. Not enough information is provided. Why do you ask this? Are you claiming someone else has provided false information? If so, this should be brought to the prosecutor's attention if the case is being heard as a criminal action. If this is in civil court, have your attorney handle the problem. If the person is not charged, there is no sentence to be considered.

  3. First, the case would need to be charged. Prosecutors are often reluctant to charge cases that arise from family court situations such as this. If you are on the other side and want the person penalized, the better way of handling this might be to seek a contempt finding in family court where the Judge could impose a jail sentence or take other remedial action. If you are the person who has filed a false affidavit, you should make no statements about this to anyone except for your attorney and you should consult with a criminal defense attorney.

    By answering this question, Steven McCollum and the Law Offices of Steven P. McCollum, P.C. do not agree to represent any person and no attorney/client relationship is created by answering this question. You are strongly urged to consult with an attorney in person since no legal advice can be given with the limited information you have provided. The statements made in this response are not intended to be specific legal advice, but rather are for general informational and educational purposes only.

  4. As you may accurately reason, attorneys may not provide by law any facilitation or furtherance of any criminal act that planned in the future. For that matter no attorney may advise anyone on how to circumvent the legal procedural system for any future contemplation of falsification of testimony or affidavits.
    I suggest being truthful and honest in all your court dealings. If you are charged, do not place any incriminating statements on line on the public forum like Avvo and retain an attorney to advise you further.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics